Search

Showrabbits.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : What is the best way to improve traits?
 Vex
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/6/2017 7:57:13 PM reply with quote send message to Vex Object to Post   

What would be the best way to improve traits?

High SOP X High SOP
Low SOP X Low SOP
High SOP X Low SOP

any input would be welcome :3
 Hoppin-B-Boppin Bunnies
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/6/2017 10:47:33 PM reply with quote send message to Hoppin-B-Boppin Bunnies Object to Post

What's been working for my group, rather than focus on USOP alone, I focus on certain traits that have the most points per breed. Then use High Trait x Low Trait. Some of my better results come from rabbits that are very similar in USOP, but are different in trait numbers. For example...

Mini Rex - focusing on Body, Fur, Color

Rabbit A - Body High, Fur Low, Color High
Rabbit B - Body Low, Fur High, Color Low

Cross A & B, and usually get a good mix of both, but somewhere in there I might find one with all 3 Traits high. This usually helps the USOP improve. It can also be done with just one Trait, as in the Harlequin, but you have to take time to weed out rabbits that improve slow, and find a good distance between the High & Low numbers to work with. Numbers too far apart or too close together and you wont get numbers surpassing the higher number.

This can also be done with rabbits of different USOP numbers, but the better results seem to come from those that are close.
i.e. USOP 64.08 & USOP 64.25
You just have to do some test breeding to find just how high & how low the numbers need to be until you find them just right.
 Vex
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/7/2017 9:08:21 AM reply with quote send message to Vex Object to Post

Ok, thank you! What if you wanted to improve one trait? I wanted to understand the algorithm ... if it's random or between a range of the parent values?
 Hoppin-B-Boppin Bunnies
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/7/2017 6:14:56 PM reply with quote send message to Hoppin-B-Boppin Bunnies Object to Post

For one trait, such as Color for the Tan breed...

You'll need to work with completely different USOP's. If Color is maxing out at 66, you may want to try crossing it to a rabbit with a 56 in color. Or around there, you may want more than 10 points in between the two, could be less. Trial and error until you find a good distance between the traits.

Though keep in mind, the higher the value, the bigger the difference will be needed. I'm using a 15-20 point difference on my Rex for two traits of 130 & 160. While Lilac I'm using 9-12 point difference for 68 & 92.

But not just any rabbit will give you the result you need, lines that have a history of numbers increasing more drastically seem to be better at providing similar results. If you have a line that has been constantly at one number for many, many generations (such as 55, a common number for traits less often worked with), then it will be more difficult to make it advance.

One way you can check to see what numbers to use, look at the current BOB rabbit and click the 'View Litter' link on the bottom left of the page. Then study the two rabbits that were bred to produce it. You'll often see one trait was lower than the other. The best type of improvement will be where the offsprings number surpasses the higher number of the parents trait.

If you don't have a rabbit with the lower number that you need, try looking at the stud rabbits. You could experiment with this stud, he looks to have been a good improvement over his dam which had the higher trait of his parents:

www.showrabbits.com/rabbits.aspx?id=323172

Vex
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/8/2017 4:29:41 PM reply with quote send message to Vex Object to Post

Thanks so much! It seems counter intuitive to use a lower sop rabbit, but I am going to give it a try.

Replies in this thread : 4

Vex
Rabbits for Sale
Hoppin-B-Boppin Bunnies
Rabbits for Sale