Search

Showrabbits.com Forum · Silver Fox

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : opps
 Thunderbolt
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
1/28/2015 4:48:44 PM reply with quote send message to Thunderbolt Object to Post   

I accidentally bred brother and sister...

Half siblings but still...

Do I keep or cull?
 Rule Breaker Rabbitry
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/28/2015 5:04:53 PM reply with quote send message to Rule Breaker Rabbitry Object to Post

I would treat them as though they are not out of a brother/sister mating. As far as I know COI has no impact at this time.

You might get something worth keeping.
 Thunderbolt
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/28/2015 7:47:56 PM reply with quote send message to Thunderbolt Object to Post

They don't look bad...
We'll see how they turn out.
 Six Gun
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/28/2015 11:42:22 PM reply with quote send message to Six Gun Object to Post

I'd like to see the COI implemented. It's not a terribly difficult algorithim and I think it would add another aspect for breeders creating lines. A new buck would be needed more often, encouraging more use of auctions and other players studs.
 Rule Breaker Rabbitry
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/29/2015 12:03:32 AM reply with quote send message to Rule Breaker Rabbitry Object to Post

It would add more strategy to the game but at the same time in real breeding programs line breeding and in breeding plays a huge roll in producing good, consistent animals.
 Eagle Heights
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/29/2015 12:57:13 AM reply with quote send message to Eagle Heights Object to Post

Yes, rabbits in particular seem to do well when linebred or even inbred, as long as the starting stock is alright and any bad genes that are exposed are culled out.

Unlike some cases, rabbits don't seem to suffer any actual inbreeding depression. I seem to recall hearing about a research test where they deliberately bred full siblings for generations straight, and had no ill results.
 Thunderbolt
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/29/2015 10:25:31 AM reply with quote send message to Thunderbolt Object to Post

Interesting. .. not much on rabbits more of a horse person. happy :)

Oddballs rabbitry
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/29/2015 11:34:59 AM reply with quote send message to Oddballs rabbitry Object to Post

I inbreed on here regularly

Replies in this thread : 7

Thunderbolt
Rabbits for Sale
Rule Breaker Rabbitry
Rabbits for Sale
Six Gun
Rabbits for Sale